Saturday, September 26, 2009

My Reasoning

The plethora of posts below is due to the fact that I am lending one of my favorite cookbooks--King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking--and wanted to keep these recipes around. Especially since I've recently decided to start baking our bread again. There are some really excellent bread recipes in here.

A few notes:
1. Don't be afraid of the orange juice in these recipes. Turns out that orange juice mellows out the tanic acid taste that accompanies many wheat recipes. You taste no orange, just nice bread.

2. I love the yogurt/milk substitute for buttermilk, especially in the pancake recipe.

3. The sprouted wheat recipes are wonderful! I'll post later on my sprouting methods.

4. Even though most of the recipes have some white flour, it really makes the food enjoyable. Whole grains are awesome, and the slight addition of white flour makes you hardly miss the full white flour counterparts of these recipes.

Most are my favorites, but there are a few that, as I leafed through, I just wanted to try. Good luck and happy baking!

2 comments:

James and Shawna said...

I'm really excited about these, especially the "Dark and Dangerous" ones! Um. . . tips on doing bread with only a hand mixer???

Jackie Rogers Hammond said...

Tip 1-Buy a Kitchen Aid
Tip 2-Buy a Bosch
Tip 3-Quit baking until you have one of the above.

Related Posts with Thumbnails